Hewitt Cheviot touring cycle
The Hewitt Cheviot was launched in 2002, it was subsequently awarded the British Bicycle Awards touring bike of the year, and Cycling Plus Distance Bike of the Year. The Hewitt Cheviot is widely regarded as one of the best value for money touring bikes available today, especially when the comprehensive fitting and the choice of components are taken into account.
The Hewitt Cheviot is designed to be a multi purpose bicycle, primarily for cycle touring but can be adapted to suit a variety of uses. Our Cheviot has been used by many as an ideal commuter bike, especially if you need to carry some equipment to work. It can also be specified as a high quality hybrid bike, with straight, vario or butterfly bars.
The Hewitt Cheviot is TIG welded and built using Reynolds 631 for the main triangle of the frame, Reynolds 525 for the stays and Reynolds 525 for the forks. The Cheviot was the first touring bike with a sloping top tube, this design enables the handlebars to be placed higher relative to the saddle without increasing the standover height, or reducing the amount of seat post exposed. The rest of the frame is designed to give as many options as possible, no gimmicks, no non-standard fittings, this allows the widest choice of components to be fitted.
The standard Cheviot frame includes the following features:
- Cantilever brake bosses front and rear. Suitable for cantilever or v-brakes.
- Oversized down-tube for efficiency and stability
- Long chainstays - to improve heel clearance when using panniers.
- A lively but stable steering geometry - for a sporty yet predictable performance.
- Clearances for tyre widths of up to 42mm.
- Sloping top tube - for improved standover height and comfort.
- Standard (non-integrated) 1 1/8" headset - as standard as it gets.
All the brazed on fittings you are likely to need are included as standard,
- Three sets of bottle bosses, on the seat-tube, down-tube & under the down-tube.
- Gear lever bosses on the down tube - usually adapted to cable stops, gear levers could be fitted if required.
- Pump pegs on the left hand seat stay - enables a full length pump to be fitted.
- Gear cable loops on the head tube - to prevent damage to the paint on the head tube.
- Mudguard eyes on the front & rear drop-outs.
- Integral mudguard fittings in brake & chainstay bridges - allows direct fitting of mudguards..
- Carrier eyes on rear drop-outs & low-rider bosses on forks.
- Dynamo boss on RH fork blade.
- Brake cable stops under top-tube + hanger at top of seat stays.
The Hewitt Cheviot is available in two colour options, Flamboyant Red and Flamboyant Blue other colours are available at extra cost, special paint features can be added, such as panels and faded finishes etc. If there is anything special you require please let us know when ordering.
The specification of our Hewitt touring bikes is designed with loaded touring in mind although this specfication can be altered as you wish and the price is adjusted accordingly. We are constantly altering the specification as components are improved, discontinued or as better more suitable components are introduced.
As each Hewitt Cheviot cycle is individually built it is possible for this specification to be altered as you wish, you may have certain components that suit you, or it may be that your Hewitt Cheviot needs to be built to suit a particular purpose. It is possible for us to cater for, and advise if necessary to ensure that your Cheviot is tailored to suit your requirements and preferences.
We can obtain most items you may require, and we are happy to incorporate your preferred components into the Cheviot specification, if you have any particular preferences or requirements please let us know.
A full comprehensive bike fitting service is offered free of charge with all Hewitt bikes, if you cant make it to our store there are other bike fitting options, if you have any queries please feel free to call and discuss them we can be contacted on 01772-424773, 9.30am - 6.00pm Mon - Sat.
The Hewitt Cheviot can be ordered online or in store,
Online ordering - if an order is placed online any alterations or additions to the standard specification can be noted in the comments box when ordering, or phoned through after ordering, in any case we will contact you to finalise the sizing and specification. The difference in cost, if any, can be made using a debit / credit card over the phone. Click here to order online.
Ordering in store - to order in store if at all possible please phone (01772-424773) or email (email@example.com) first to arrange an appointment, this enables us to spend some time (usually 1 1/2 - 2 hrs) to determine the position, the frame size and discuss the specification. Please remember to bring your shoes & shorts with you and ideally your usual cycling jersey. If you plan on using your own saddle or the pedals you normally use are not Shimano SPD, then it would preferable if you could bring these as well.
We can arrange to have your Hewitt Cheviot delivered to you, please follow the instructions on the checkout. Delivery is free to UK mainland adresses. Lead time is usually around 4 weeks.
|Click here to view geometry.||Read 2002 Cycling Plus Review|
|Click here to view full standard specification.||Read 2003 Cycling Plus Awards|
|Click here to view the Hewitt range of bikes|