Hewitt Cheviot SE touring cycle
Hewitt Cheviot SE
We added the Hewitt Cheviot SE to our range in 2004, it subsequently won the Cycling Plus Distance Bike of the Year award, this was the second year running that a Hewitt touring bike won this award, with the Cheviot having won the same award in 2003, the Cheviot SE in a higher specification also won the silver award in 2006. The Cheviot SE is widely regarded as one of the best touring bikes available today.
The Hewitt Cheviot SE is designed to be a multi purpose bicycle, primarily for cycle touring but can be adapted to suit a variety of uses. Our Cheviot SE has been used by many as an ideal commuter bike, especially if you need to carry some equipment to work. It can also be specified as a high quality hybrid bike, with straight, vario or butterfly bars.
The Hewitt Cheviot SE is built using TIG welded Reynolds 725 for the frame and Reynolds 531 for the forks. The Cheviot was the first touring bike with a sloping top tube, this enables the handlebars to be placed higher relative to the saddle without increasing the standover height, or reducing the amount of seat post exposed. The rest of the frame is designed to give as many options as possible, no gimmicks, no non-standard fittings, this allows the widest choice of components to be fitted.
The standard Cheviot includes the following features:
- Cantilever brake bosses front and rear. Suitable for cantilever or v-brakes.
- Oversized down-tube for efficiency and stability
- Long chainstays - to improve heel clearance when using panniers.
- A lively but stable steering geometry - for a sporty yet predictable performance.
- Clearances for tyre widths of up to 42mm.
- Sloping top tube - for improved standover height and comfort.
- Stainless Steel dropouts front & rear.
- Standard (non-integrated) 1 1/8" headset - as standard as it gets.
All the brazed on fittings you are likely to need are included as standard,
- Three sets of bottle bosses, on the seat-tube, down-tube & under the down-tube.
- Gear lever bosses on the down tube - usually adapted to cable stops, gear levers could be fitted if required.
- Pump pegs on the left hand seat stay - enables a full length pump to be fitted.
- Gear cable loops on the head tube - to prevent damage to the paint on the head tube.
- Mudguard eyes on the front & rear drop-outs.
- Integral mudguard fittings in brake & chainstay bridges - allows direct fitting of mudguards..
- Carrier eyes on rear drop-outs & low-rider bosses on forks.
- Dynamo boss on RH fork blade.
Brake cable stops under top-tube + hanger at top of seat stays.
On the Hewitt Cheviot there is a wide range of colours available at no extra cost, special paint features can be added, such as panels and faded finishes etc. If there is anything special you require please let us know when ordering.
The specification of our Hewitt touring bikes is designed with loaded touring in mind although this specfication can be altered as you wish and the price is adjusted accordingly. We are constantly altering the specification as components are improved, discontinued or as better more suitable components are introduced.
As each Hewitt Cheviot cycle is individually built it is possible for this specification to be altered as you wish, you may have certain components that suit you, or it may be that your Cheviot SE needs to be built to suit a particular purpose. It is possible for us to cater for, and advise if necessary to ensure that your Cheviot SE is tailored to suit your requirements and preferences.
We can obtain most items you may require, and we are happy to incorporate your preferred components into the Cheviot SE specification, if you have any particular preferences or requirements please let us know.
A full comprehensive bike fitting service is offered free of charge with all Hewitt bikes, if you cant make it to our store there are other bike fitting options, if you have any queries please feel free to call and discuss them we can be contacted on 01772-424773, 9.30am - 6.00pm Mon - Sat.